1935-1951
The Course was severely damaged as it witnessed eight years of battles.
In 1941, the Pacific War broke out, leading to World War II. Because Taiwan Golf Club was located in an elevated area capable of safeguarding the Tamsui River Estuary, the Taiwan Straits and Danhai — the Japanese Army designated the area as a strategically important military base.
In December 1944, the US Army targeted Tamsui for the very first time. In January 1945, the US Army occupied Luzon, heavily bombarding the Japanese Army in Taiwan. The Japanese Army moved its troops to the Course, chopping down trees for field operation forts and digging trenches to shield themselves from the US Army’s assault. On May 13, 1945, the US Airforce once again attacked the Japanese Army in Tamsui, with the Course sustaining severe damage, particularly on the 12th to the 18th fairways, which were completely ruined and resembled a beehive.
The Course did not recover until Japan surrendered to its allies on August 15, 1945. WWII ended and the Japanese Army vacated Taiwan. Japan founded and operated Taiwan Golf Club for more than 20 years. After the War, the first nine holes were still intact. During that time, golf coaches returned to Taiwan from Shanghai, Xiamen, and other places. In 1946, Guo Jin-shun, Chen Jin-shi, Chen Huo-shun, Lin Yi-san (Lin Wan-fu) and other coaches applied with the Tamsui Township Office to restore Taiwan Golf Club. Unfortunately, Guo Jin-shun passed away early on, Lin Yi-san was engaged in other businesses, and Chen Huo-shun was busy building golf courses in Taipei, Fengyuan and Xinfeng. For that reason, Chen Jin-shi shouldered most of the responsibility of the restoration of the Club’s fairways.
After the War, however, people from all walks of life waited for the recovery and reconstruction of the Course. The renovation of the Course was short of funds. Fortunately, the Taiwan Garrison Command Chief of Staff, Ke Yuan-feng, Senior Staff member Wang Cheng-zhang and teams from the Police Commissioner canvased to ask the Tamsui District Mayor, Zhuo, Ke-xu, to invite golf lovers from all walks of life to attend a three-course feast on the second floor of the old building of the Club, to discuss donations. On the site, more than 30 guests donated 300,000 dollars.
Lin Xian-tang from the Lin Family in Wufeng provided manpower support. Painter Yang San-lang also generously donated several of his paintings to be sold for charity. Chen Bai-chuan, from a distinguished family in Kaoshiung, offered the only mobile lawnmower in Taiwan. With the help of all of these people, the 1st to the 9th holes of the Course were renovated in September 1948. Unexpectedly, in 1949 the Nationalist Government retreated to Taiwan. The Course, once again, became a military defense zone. Renovation work was forcefully suspended. However, coach Chen Jin-shi and others did not give up on renovating the Course. In five years, from 1949 and 1953, the Course was slowly renovated, from the 12th to the 15th hole.









